Have something to say?
The UACC’s weekly blog is interested in any submissions that help us fulfill any part of the UACC’s calling (see below). We see this as a place for urban Appalachians to have a voice about issues that matter to you, so we’d love to hear from you!
- Be clearly relevant to the life and work of Appalachian communities
- Be between 3-4 paragraphs long (though we do accept longer entries)
- Have proper permissions for sharing any media (images, audio, video) accompanying the writing
Of course, we welcome critical, incisive, and challenging entries regarding issues that impact the lives of people of Appalachian heritage in this region of Ohio. We only accept work that supports the work and knowledge of the UACC and its efforts in local Appalachian communities. Writers should expect that we may send edits/revisions prior to publication, and we can help develop “rough” ideas by offering feedback.
How to Submit:
Send submissions, ideas, or questions for the UACC Blog to:
The UACC Calling:
We believe in the irrepressible spirit of the Appalachian people, and that the nurturing of that spirit benefits Greater Cincinnati through our:
- Wisdom informed by both our Appalachian heritage and our urban experiences.
- Resistance to threats to individual, family, and community well-being;
- Respect for community as both place and the people who live there;
- Artistic and cultural expressions of who we were and are;
- Inclusiveness that recognizes how people are alike rather than different;
- Advocacy on behalf of those whose voices have not been heard.
The Appalachian spirit is a positive and powerful force toward individual, family and community health, transformation and empowerment.